Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I Had Only One Son

Author: Fr. Jerry M. Orbos, SVD

How generous are you to God?

A friend of mine thought she was. She goes to Mass, gets involved in parish activities, and even does charitable works, until one day, the Lord asked for her son. "I have only one son, and I do not think I would allow my son to become a priest."

These were her thoughts as she went to Tagaytay (a city 60 km north of Manila) to attend my ordination. But, as she entered the chapel, she saw the life-sized Crucifix and right there and then, she felt the presence of God and a voice that asked her, "How about me? I had only one Son, and I gave Him up for you..." My friend, realizing the generosity of God, and her selfishness, prayed in tears, "Lord, I am sorry for my selfishness. If You want my son, then I am entrusting him to you!" When my friend told me about what happened, she recalled even telling the Lord, "Lord, even my husband, take him!"

A Moment with the Lord:

Lord, all too often I take You for granted in my life. Forgive me for my selfishness and lack of generosity to You and to Your people. Amen

A Moment with the Word:

"For God so loved the world He gave His only Son... (John 3:16)

No comments: